How to water:
1. After receiving a plant wait for 2 weeks and check the soil. If soil feels dry – water plant, if soil feels moist wait for few more days and check the soil again.
2.Water your plant as you normally would from the top, through the soil. Add approx. 3/4 of a gallon of water on average once every 3-4 weeks.
3. Spread water slowly and evenly through the center of a plant, close to its stem to avoid water running to the bottom of the planter missing the roots.
Be sure to let soil become dry before watering again.
When and how to use self-watering feature:
1. After about 5-6 months, the roots of your plant have had a chance to grow far enough into the moist area and they can reach water from the reservoir. You can then water your plants conveniently via the water supply shaft, located next to the water meter indicator tube.
2. When using self watering feature - pour water directly to water supply shaft. Watch water level indicator to see how much water you put in. Stop when water level indicator reaches “Max” mark.
3. If after a few days or weeks the water level indicator reads "Min" - don't add water straight away. This is the start of the "dry phase" for the plant - the length of the dry phase is about 4 weeks.
4. After each dry phase, refill the water reservoir to "Max" using the water supply shaft.
Be sure to let top soil become dry before watering again.
5. Always check soil before watering. Stick your finger as deep as possible into the soil and if it feels dry add water, if soil feels moist wait for few more days and check soil again before watering.
Wipe leaves regularly with a damp cloth to remove dust.
Cut off dry ends with sharp scissors.
Remove dead leaves.
Mist slightly with water daily especially during winter time when using heat in the space.
Yellow leaves, dropping leaves is the sign of over-watering. Stop all irrigation to allow the ponytail palm time to recuperate -- dry conditions stimulate internal healing and possible recovery. Dry leaves, yellow or brown lower leaves is the sign of under-watering. Add water from the soil once in a while.
NOTE: Care instructions are just a guide lines and every plant will behave differently depending on air flow and temperatures in a space. Always check soil before watering!!!